Blog

System Center Ops Mgr - Missing All Reports

After setting up System Center 2007 Operations Manager, I couldn't wait to see the reports I could generate.  The install was a bit cumbersome but for this one I followed the install guides as best I could and thought I had everything just right.  However, after the install there were no reports.  If I tried to run any I'd get an error that the report couldn't initialize and if I clicked on the Reports tab there just weren't any reports there.  So I upgraded to Ops Mgr Sp1...didn't help.  I re-installed the Ops Mgr Reporting...didn't help.  All I had to go on were two symptoms.

  1. The System Logs were full of SQLDumper errors. Informational entries with Event ID 1010 and 5001 as well as Errors with Event ID 5000 were flooding my System logs about every two minutes.  The 5000 Event ID had the following Descriptions:

    EventType sql90exception, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.1830, P3 42435be1, P4 reportingservicesnativeclient.ni.dll, P5 2005.90.3042.0, P6 45cd6edb, P7 0, P8 00005283, P9 00000000, P10 NIL.

  2. The Operations Manager logs in the Event Logs had lots of Event ID 26319 with this description.

Event ID: 26319
Source: OpsMgr SDK Service
Description:
An exception was thrown while processing GetUserRolesForOperationAndUser for session id uuid:a5f97d19-d366-4924-adc8-87a85c56f3a9;id=27. Exception Message: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

 So it seemed to be something with the OpsMgr SDK account.  The username/password was correct and it was a local admin on the Ops Mgr server.  So what gives?  Finally searching for the 26319 Event ID I found this post at the OpsMgr, SCE, and MOM Blog. It didn't quite match because it discusses a problem with the installation and as far as I know my installation went fine.  But since it's close...I read on.  It mentions that one of the causes could be...

You install the Operations Manager 2007 Reporting feature in a Window Server 2003 domain environment, and the Permissions compatible only with Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 operating systems option is enabled

My environment is an SBS 2003 environment and by default the domain functional level is Windows 2000.  I've thought of raising it but just haven't had a compelling reason.  Raising the domain level may fix the problem but I just followed the resolution in MS KB 938627 that Clive referenced... add the SDK service account to the Windows Authorization Access group. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
  2. In Active Directory Users and Computers, click Builtin, and then double-click Windows Authorization Access Group.
  3. Click the Members tab, and then add the SDK service account to the members list.

As soon as I add the SDK account to the Windows Authorization Access group the SQLDumper and the 26319 events stopped occurring.  Then I went to the Ops Mgr Console and clicked the Reporting tab and viola...I had a couple reports under the Reporting folder.  My CPU stayed pegged for quite a while so be patient but the reports will start showing up.  If you're impatient like me and want to see some sign of progress, right click on the Reporting folder and hit Refresh to see what's populated.

I hope this helps someone else because it stumped me for over a week.